How can my business benefit from an Intranet?
No matter how small or large your organisation may be, an Intranet is an important business tool that can help save money and time! The most common benefit of owning an Intranet is saving money by cutting down inefficient work practices.
1) Manage, store and disseminate “boiler plate” data that is used on a regular basis
By storing “boilerplate” content, data and other resources in a secure easily accessible intranet, employees can have access to a wide variety of resources and can share content with each other.
This can result in a significant reduction of duplication of effort and time wasting. Employees will be able to get access to standard information and content when they need it and not waste time.
2) Provide secure easy access to commonly used documents in a structure that would be accessible for other users
A simple document management system allows documents to be stored securely online through the employee intranet / extranet. The features of the document management system include:
- Secure storage of documents;
- Searchable indexes by user, subject and status.
- Automatic indexing of document metadata allowing better retrieval and storage.
- A significant improvement in the efficiency of providing data and documents to a wide group of users.
3) Create a community between employees working in a virtual environment
To create a cohesive community between people who are in physically disparate locations is achieved through:
- Online Forums – tailored to subject and project areas;
- Online Now Function;
- Instant Messaging;
Integrated with NetMeeting for online webcam meetings (if applicable)
This will result in employees feeling less isolated and more part of a team.
Greater collaboration and sharing of data can lead to identification of new business, less duplication of effort and an overall healthier bottom line.